Snow Buddy Program
This program matches volunteers willing to remove snow and treat sidewalks for eligible low-income seniors, homebound or disabled residents who are physically unable to do it themselves, and neighbors who cannot afford this service, or don’t have someone to assist them.
Snow buddies provide a critical service to these residents who may need to leave their homes for medical and other essential appointments or who rely on healthcare workers for deliveries. Our Snow Buddy volunteers also help eligible property owners who are required to clear snow within 1 to 3 days after a heavy storm to avoid fines.
We ask Snow Buddy Volunteers to be on call starting the day after the first snowfall of the season through spring of the next year. Volunteers are generally matched with residents within reasonable walking distance and expected to supply their own snow shovel and broom. Salt will be provided.
If you’re interested in serving your neighbors, register online as a Snow Buddy.
Our program is designed to accommodate volunteers and respect our residents. We ask residents not to request any other services from the volunteer, not pay the volunteer, and not ask them to come into the home. We’ll train volunteers and match them with a household within their walking distance.
We’ll instruct volunteers to:
- Call the resident before a snow fall to introduce themselves
- Never enter the resident’s home
- Never accept money
- Report back to Volunteer Alexandria after shoveling
- Serve the same resident the entire winter season
- Adhere to COVID safety protocol. While physical interaction with partnered clients should be minimal, all COVID-19 precautions and procedures apply. Please review our volunteer COVID safety procedures and COVID volunteer Guidelines that must be followed. Volunteer Alexandria will schedule an orientation with registered volunteers.
What do our residents say?
“I’m 92, and I was so scared about how I would get out. You are like angels”
“I called to tell you what a great job your volunteer did shoveling the snow from my house. He came on Monday and promised to come back on Tuesday. He actually kept his promise and came back on Tuesday and helped some more. I just wanted to call and let you know how grateful I am to your volunteer and your Snow buddy Program.”
One lady was very appreciative and said "I am so glad that there are people still kind enough to do this for people like me!"