Youth Engaged in Service (YES)
Young people are our next generation of philanthropists. Volunteer Alexandria’s youth and family volunteer program promotes civic responsibility and recognizes community service. Whether your family is one parent/guardian and one child or an extended family, families engaged in service frequently develop a lifelong commitment to volunteering.
Our goal is for children, ages 6 to 18, to become involved in their community. Youth Opportunities
6 reasons why children should volunteer:
- Children develop compassion when they help other people, appreciate what they have and learn how to work with others.
- Volunteering teaches children how to do things they’re good at and skills they want to develop. Getting kids out of their comfort zone helps build self-confidence.
- Children discover inner strengths and life skills by volunteering. Teamwork, tolerance and problem-solving help them cope with daily challenges in their own lives.
- Youth volunteers learn how to become valued community citizens. Growing up with a greater sense of social responsibility makes children more likely to volunteer throughout their lives.
- Kids who volunteer meet people from different backgrounds and make new friends. These activities enhance children’s emotional development, fostering socializing and communication.
- Volunteering puts in practice what Mahatma Gandhi said was to “Be the change they wish to see in the world.”
Make an investment to support family volunteering by donating $25 or more. Make a donation today!