Log in with
Find a volunteer opportunity
Volunteers 55+ Impacting Their Communities
Seniors are a vibrant part of Alexandria. We invite residents 55+ to get involved in the community and help people 55+.
Retired Senior Volunteer Program-Northern Virginia
Volunteer Alexandria hosts RSVP-NV (Retired Senior Volunteer Program-Northern Virginia), a program of AmeriCorps Seniors, along with Volunteer Fairfax and Volunteer Arlington. This program focuses on engaging volunteers 55 and over in meaningful, social, and fun volunteer opportunities in and around Alexandria, Fairfax County, and Arlington County.
Benefits of joining RSVP-NV as an AmeriCorps Seniors volunteer include:
- Personalized matching to service opportunities with local/national non-profits and agencies.
- Free access to accident medical coverage, volunteer liability, and automobile liability insurance.
- Optional mileage and meal reimbursement.
- Group service activities, including social and recognition events.
- Leadership opportunities at outreach events as one of our Volunteer Leaders or RSVP Advisory Council members.
- Access to new volunteer opportunities, news, and events delivered to you through an exclusive e-newsletter.
- A chance to share your 55+ years of skills and experience, or explore and develop new skills while serving your community.
AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers chose how, where, and how often you want to serve. Commitments range from a once-a-month group service project to 40 hours a week. Register for a virtual info session from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, June 8, and join the movement of volunteers 55 and over serving their communities.
For questions, email Shannon White, Volunteer Specialist at email@example.com or call the RSVP hotline at 703-403-5360. Go to www.rsvpnova.org to get more information on RSVP Northern Virginia.
Senior Services of Alexandria (SSA) Speaker Series
Senior Services of Alexandria (SSA) hosts a monthly speaker series, which offers topics of interests to seniors, including legal issues, financial literacy, health-care education, retirement planning and more. SSA works to ensure that each session has local experts on the topic of discussion and provides the most up-to-date, accurate information for seniors, their family members and caregivers.
Seniors 60 and older can attend a 4-week course about what programs and services are available to seniors and how you can become involved and engaged in our community.
Senior Services of Alexandria partners with the City of Alexandria’s Office of Public Affairs invites Alexandria seniors to attend. Enrollment is limited to 25 City residents ages 60 and older.
The Academy is a free program with light refreshment each week. A special graduation ceremony will take place during a City Council meeting at City Hall. Topics include:
- Getting to know your city
- How you can make a difference
- City Services for seniors
- Community resources and leisure
- Cultural and educational opportunities
To learn more or to register for the Senior Academy, you can download the application at www.seniorservicesalex.org or call 703/836-4414, ext. 110.