You Can Get Involved! Volunteers 55+ Impacting Their Communities
Seniors are a vibrant part of Alexandria. There are many ways for residents 55+ to be involved in the community—and many ways to assist people 55+. Volunteer Alexandria ia hosting the RSVP-NV program, a program of AmeriCorps Seniors, which is sponsored by Volunteer Fairfax in partnership with Volunteer Arlington and Volunteer Alexandria.
RSVP-NV (Retired Senior Volunteer Program-Northern Virginia) is an AmeriCorps Seniors program focused on engaging volunteers 55 and over in meaningful, social, and fun volunteer opportunities in and around Alexandria, Fairfax County, and Arlington County.
Benefits of joining RSVP-NV as an AmeriCorps Seniors volunteer include:
- Personalized matching to service opportunities with local/national non-profits and agencies.
- Free access to accident medical coverage, volunteer liability, and automobile liability insurance.
- Optional mileage and meal reimbursement.
- Group service activities, including social and recognition events.
- Leadership opportunities at outreach events as one of our Volunteer Leaders or RSVP Advisory Council members.
- Access to new volunteer opportunities, news, and events delivered to you through an exclusive e-newsletter.
- A chance to share your 55+ years of skills and experience, or explore and develop new skills while serving your community.
AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers chose how, where, and how often you want to serve. Commitments range from a once-a-month group service project to 40 hours a week.
Register for our virtual information session on Tuesday, June 8th from 1:30-2:30 pm, and join the movement of volunteers 55 and over serving their communities.
For questions, email Shannon White, Volunteer Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on the RSVP hotline at 703-403-5360. Go to www.rsvpnova.org to get more information on RSVP Northern Virginia.
Senior Services of Alexandria (SSA) Speaker Series
SSA provides a monthly Speaker Series, which offers topics of interests to seniors, including legal issues, financial literacy, health-care education, retirement planning and more. SSA works to ensure that each session has local experts on the topic of discussion and provides the most up-to-date, accurate information for seniors, their family members and caregivers. For more information contact email@example.com or call 703-836-4414, ext. 13.
Senior Academy - SSA, in partnership with the City of Alexandria’s Office of Public Affairs, holds two sessions of a 4-week course for seniors who reside in the city of Alexandria. Participants hear from city officials on what programs and services are available to seniors and how they can become involved and engaged in their communities.
Volunteer Opportunities For Seniors to Help Seniors
Volunteer Alexandria, in collaboration with Senior Services of Alexandria, provides a List of organizations with volunteer opportunities. Search for additional opportunities by interest or zip code.