Age Minimum (with Adult): 21+, Minimum Age:21+
Do you enjoy biking? Come Volunteer with Us at Bike for Good!
Do you own a bike and want to help your community? The Bike for Good program is just for you! The goal for this program is to redistribute donated fresh, locally grown food (primarily fruit and vegetables) from the Alexandria Old Town Farmer’s Market on the last Saturday of the month using bicycles to pantries that serve hungry, homeless, and at-risk residents in Alexandria. The program will help to -
- Increase access to locally grown and healthy food to low-income residents in the City;
- Reduce food waste to Alexandria landfills;
- Transport food with minimal environmental impact, reduce traffic and CO2 emissions
- Increase awareness of bicycling as a viable mode of transportation; and
- Be a catalyst for positive change in the community
The Old Town Farmers' Market is looking for dedicated and experienced bicyclist volunteers who are willing to distribute the fresh produce to food pantries and shelters in the Alexandria area once per month (last Saturday of the month) from May through October 2019.
Summary of food rescue process:
- Volunteers ride their bicycles to the farmers’ market and meet at the market information booth on the last Saturday of the month at 11:30 am.
- Volunteers must wear their own helmet, be capable of lifting 25 pounds, and wear closed toe shoes for safety purposes.
- Volunteers must be 21 years or older and experienced bicycle riders.
- Attend a short safety and volunteer orientation.
- Attach the cargo trailer to your bike. Load two crates onto the cargo trailer.
- Ride with the bike captain to the dropoff location; There will be a representative to direct the drop off.
- Load the empty crates back onto the trailers and ride back to the farmers’ market; return the crates and disengage the cargo trailer.
- All volunteers will wear orange safety vests (provided by the City), helmets (their own, mandatory), and ride their own bikes that are in good condition.
Who to contact if you have questions:
Please contact Sabrina Osman at SNAPEBT@alexandriava.gov
King St. Alexandria, VA 22314
Food Rescue Statistics
- 17 market farmers participated
- Rescued 6,487 pounds of food in 6 months
- Value of food rescued was $10,963 ($1.69/pound of donated food)
- Served two food pantries, a low income senior housing facility, and a homeless shelter in Alexandria, VA
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: