Wright to Read Tutor-Mentor Program
Wright to Read is a literacy tutoring-mentoring program that works to match volunteer tutor-mentors with Alexandria City Public School students who need extra support in their literacy skills. Our goal is not only to help give this child support along their reading journey (including access to books, resources, and a larger reading community), but also a mentor through elementary school and beyond. We also offer enrichment activities to help foster the connections between students, volunteers, and families across the program. Learn more about the program and what makes us unique here: https://youtu.be/WbzLcVuxhqs
For one hour a week, you can work one-on-one with a student to help improve their literacy skills, inspire a love of reading and help develop other important attributes that are key in their future success!
- Volunteers are required to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to meet in-person with their student (your vax card will be requested for verification). Please note our students are not required to be vaccinated at this time
- In-person tutoring typically occurs at the public library. Our sessions occur after school or on the weekends, once a week for an hour.
- We ask that our volunteers work with our students for at least a year once assigned/matched (although many relationships last longer). If you think your circumstances (e.g., living in the Alexandria area, work or family responsibilities may prohibit you from continuing, etc.) may change in the next 1-2 years, contact us about other opportunities or programs that may be a better fit.
This program requires volunteers to attend an Orientation/Training (provided online) as well as undergo a background screening that may take up to 4-8 weeks to complete (applicants must utilize Fieldprint locations to be fingerprinted and an in-person notary for certain forms). Please reach out to us as soon as possible to receive an estimated timeframe on when you will be assigned to a student.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+, Maximum Age:64
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: