Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+
Master Gardener Volunteer
Master Gardener Volunteer
The Master Gardener Volunteer will assist with the upkeep, care, and maintenance of the Lee-Fendall House Museum and Garden’s ½ grounds in support of its mission of preserving, maintaining, and interpreting the museum and its collection to serve as a historic, cultural, and educational resource for the community in the city of Alexandria.
The Lee-Fendall Museum is seeking Gardening Volunteers to assist with the care and upkeep of its ½ acre garden. The garden is an important part of the museum’s interpretive and events space. Volunteers have the opportunity to work outdoors on their own schedule.
The Master Gardener Volunteer:
- Signs in with the on-site administrator for any specific instructions.
- Contributes to the development of the gardens and grounds master site plan and planting diagram.
- Develops an annual schedule of maintenance in consultation with museum staff.
- Develops a training manual for Garden & Grounds Volunteers in consultation with museum staff.
- Supervises and trains Garden & Grounds Volunteers.
- Maintains the museum’s flowering plants, shrubs, and trees, including flower beds and planting beds. Advises museum staff on contracting with outside vendors as needed.
- Assists with yardwork, including mowing, raking, and picking up trash and debris.
- Assists with weeding and edging bricked walks and parking areas.
- Assists with snow removal and de-icing in winter months.
- Assists with raking leaves and leaf removal.
- Assists with watering and mulching flower beds.
- Assists with other related tasks as needed.
The Master Gardener Volunteer will report to the Executive Director or the Assistant Manager.
Length of Appointment:
Volunteer status is at-will. The museum is seeking individuals who are available to perform on-site maintenance on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule. The museum is seeking individuals who can commit to a minimum 4 months of volunteering.
This position is ongoing and self-determined. The museum is seeking individuals who can commit to a minimum 4 months of volunteering. Volunteers have the opportunity to work on outdoor projects on their own schedule after coordinating with museum staff.
Prior gardening experience and knowledge is required. Volunteers must have a working knowledge of the care and upkeep of flowering plants, particularly rosebushes. Experience with caring for boxwoods is also preferred.
Volunteers under 18 years of age are not eligible for this position.
Volunteer groups are not eligible for this position.
Support and Benefits Provided:
Guidance will be provided by the site administrators regarding tasks and projects. A tour and history of the site will be provided upon start date.
The Master Gardener will have access to a workstation with computer upon request and free Wi-Fi internet access.
All Lee-Fendall House Museum volunteers are encouraged to attend museum functions and monthly volunteer meetings.
All Lee-Fendall House Museum volunteers receive 10% off gift shop purchases, are granted free parking in the museum parking lot, and benefit from free admission to historic sites throughout Old Town Alexandria.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: