Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+, Maximum Age:64
Wright to Read Tutor/Mentor Program (REMOTE during Pandemic)
With the closure of schools due to COVID-19, Alexandria students may be at a risk of falling behind. The need for dedicated Wright to Read tutor/mentors will be greater than ever this academic year.
Join us in changing the lives of the children of Alexandria. For one hour a week, you can work one-on-one with a student to help improve their literacy skills and inspire a love of reading but also help develop other important attributes that are key in their future success! The Campagna Center’s Wright to Read program provides volunteer-based one-on-one sustained literacy tutoring and mentoring relationships to City of Alexandria elementary school children who are reading one year below grade level.
In light of physical distancing guidelines during the pandemic, we are modifying our platforms and resources given to tutor/mentors and families to facilitate engagement via virtual means. Training will be provided online.
In addition to the weekly engagements, we offer enrichment activities to help foster the connections between students, volunteers, and families across the program.
When in-person meetings become available again, tutoring typically occurs at the public library after work or on the weekends once a week for an hour.
We ask that our volunteers work with our students for at least a year (although many relationships last longer).
This program requires volunteers to attend an Orientation/Training (provided online during the pandemic) as well as undergo a background screening that may take up to 2 months to complete (applicants must utilize Fieldpoint locations to be fingerprinted).
Hear from one of our volunteers regarding their experience: "Being a mentor has given me a great gift in being able to make a very big, and positive, difference in the life of a child. We talk about things he might not think to talk about with his busy parents. For one hour a week, he has the undivided attention of a caring adult. He often tells me he thinks I am “the best tutor in the world.” Each time, I catch my breath and feel tears come to my eyes. The truth is, I feel like the lucky one. He brings joy and light to my life. I feel honored to be a part of his childhood and formative education. I wouldn’t have believed how rewarding that feeling could be."
― DIANA, TUTOR/MENTOR
Before you volunteering in-person, please ensure:
- That you have you NOT been at any places and therefore exposed where people have tested positive for COVID-19? If so, do not volunteer.
- That you DO NOT exhibit any symptoms of a respiratory illness including fever, runny nose, sore throat, coughing or difficulty breathing now or in the past 24 hours? If so, do not volunteer.
- That you or someone you live with is NOT at high risk (this includes persons who are age greater than 65; have underlying heart disease or lung disease, diabetes, liver disease; are immunocompromised, on dialysis, or have severe obesity with BMI greater than 40). If so, do NOT volunteer.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: