Make a Difference Day - Saturday, October 24, 2020
Every year on the fourth Saturday in October, volunteerism is celebrated by individuals, friends, and family when they get together to make a difference. This is known as Make a Difference Day. This year, Make A Difference Day, fell on October 24th. We would like to share with the community how volunteers celebrated and made a difference individually, with family, or in a group within their community!
Volunteer Alexandria invited families, friends, and individuals to schedule a time to drop by to create a wreath, which will be donated to a senior through Senior Services of Alexandria’s Friendly Visitor Program. Many seniors have had to self-quarantine from their friends and families in order to stay safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. The wreaths were a small act of kindness to let them know that they are being thought of and help connect to others while they are at home.
Each wreath was created out of reusable/recycled materials, provided by UpCycle Creative Reuse Center, to help spread joy and connect the community through art for a small fee.
Some volunteers were unable to volunteer in-person. They participated by creating the wreath in their own home. After creating the wreath, they were able to drop off the wreath for a contactless exchange with the Volunteer Alexandria’s staff.
Here are other ways volunteers got involved on Make a Difference Day!
- Picked up trash in a park
- Helped rake leaves in their neighborhood for neighbors
- Created or donated masks to help others that are need to stay safe during the pandemic
- Prepared a hot meal for a local organization to help feed the homeless
- Created care packages for people who have been affected by COVID 19
- Spread kindness by writing encouraging words to seniors, neighbors, and others throughout your community
Safety is important to us. Click HERE to learn more about how we keep volunteers safe while on site.