Age Minimum (with Adult):16+, Minimum Age:18+
Wright to Read provides volunteer-based, one-on-one sustained literacy tutoring and mentoring relationship to City of Alexandria elementary school children in need, and collaborates with families, schools, and community partners to create a comprehensive support network that guides each child to success.
Our goal is to help students learn to read and learn to enjoy reading. Join us; Give the Gift of Literacy. We train our volunteers to work one-on-one with an Alexandria elementary school student to improve reading skills and comprehension.
- Students enter the program in grades 1-5 (ages 6-11) as referred by their classroom teachers.
- Volunteers undergo background screening and small-group training. The screening takes about two months to complete before a volunteer can start tutoring.
- One-hour weekly tutoring sessions are scheduled directly with parents/guardians and takes place after school, in the evening, or on the weekend at the public libraries.
- Enrichment activities are offered throughout the year to support a mentoring relationship.
- Although we ask for a one year commitment, we encourage volunteers to continue mentoring their student throughout elementary school and as the student progresses into middle school.
We are a year round program with no beginning or end date. For the upcoming school year, we would like to serve 55 new students.
To learn more, visit us at WrightToRead.org
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: