Find a volunteer opportunity
Please note, we will NOT schedule interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays. Schedule an interview by calling 703-836-2176
The Alternative Community Service (ACS) program is a fee-based placement program for individuals required by the courts or other agencies to perform community service. Volunteer Alexandria’s goals for the Community Service program are:
- To place court-referred clients in community service settings for constructive completion of required hours;
- To provide nonprofits with valuable volunteers; and
- To reduce expenses for government programs which would otherwise have to incorporate these individuals.
Community Service Clients are referred to Volunteer Alexandria through courts, probation officers, lawyers, or city agencies and after completing the intake process, are placed with a nonprofit or civic organization to complete their hours. Volunteer Alexandria handles all of the required paperwork, including a completion letter that is sent when hours are finished.
Why Choose Volunteer Alexandria’s ACS Program? Over the years, Volunteer Alexandria has streamlined its process to make the ACS Program easy to understand and easy to navigate; resulting in a very high success rate with our clients.
- We place clients at our partner organizations that are able to accommodate ACS clients
- No calling multiple organizations- we give clients placements that work
- We track hours and court dates so that if a client has finished their required hours, the courts are informed, alleviating the need for multiple court dates
- We ensure completion letters are sent to all appropriate parties in a timely manner to avoid extending court dates
Benefits Nonprofits and City Agencies
- Clients are placed based on skill, hours, and location
- In fiscal year 2017, Volunteer Alexandria placed 166 ACS clients in local nonprofits and city agencies, completing a total of 14,516 hours of community service, valued at $391,351 based on the Independent Sectors value of volunteer time for Virginia in 2016.
We always seek additional Partner Organizations to host Community Service Clients. Clients are court, parole officer or attorney-referred --- mostly due to a minor or misdemeanor infraction. We place vetted pre-screened unpaid volunteers with nonprofits and public agencies that match to perform community service hours. They work on a variety of projects and assignments that support the agency and enhance the good of the community. Some volunteers are resourceful, skilled or professional and as such help organizations with innovative assignments.
Contact Muata at 703-836-2176 or email@example.com for more information.
Learn more about becoming a client.
Learn more about becoming a nonprofit or city partner agency.
Learn more about referring a client to the ACS program.
©2017 Volunteer Alexandria, an affiliate of the HandsOn Connect | All rights reserved